Spicy Korean Rice Cakes are one of the most popular street foods in Korea. The rice cakes have a soft, chewy, and bouncy texture that goes perfectly with this spicy, sweet, and umami-packed gochujang sauce. This vegan recipe captures all the nostalgic flavors that you would want in a street food style tteokbokki and more.
VEGAN TTEOKBOKKI RECIPE | Spicy Korean Rice Cakes | 비건 떡볶이
Servings: 2 people
- 1 ½ cup water (355mL)
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 heaping cups tteokbokki tteok (Korean rice cakes)
- 6 medium shiitake mushrooms (or other mushrooms of choice), de-stemmed & sliced
- 1 teaspoon neutral oil
- Splash of tamari or soy sauce, to taste
- Perilla leaves, chiffonade
- Toasted sesame seeds or vegan furikake
For the sauce:
- In a small/medium pot, whisk together water, gochujang, sugar, tomato paste (or ketchup), tamari/soy sauce, mushroom seasoning, and toasted sesame oil. Set aside.
For the mushrooms:
- Heat a medium/large pan with neutral oil. Add mushrooms and sauté until golden brown. Turn off the pan. Lightly season with tamari/soy sauce and toss the mushroom around the pan to lightly char the tamari/soy sauce with the residual heat left in the pan. Be careful not to burn the soy sauce/tamari. Add mushrooms to the pot with the sauce.
For the tteokbokki:
- Rinse the tteokbokki tteok and separate any of them that are stuck together. Add the tteokbokki tteok into the pot with the sauce and mushrooms.
- Bring this to a boil, then lower the heat to medium/medium low, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You’ll know when the tteokbokki is finished when the sauce has thickened up and the tteokbokki tteok has a soft, chewy, and bouncy texture. Once that is achieved, serve immediately. Top with garnishes of choice. My favorite is perilla leaves and vegan furikake.
I made it and it turns out soo delicious. My mom first time try any Korean cuisine and she just loves it! Lots of love❤ gamsahapnida!
Amazing! Glad to hear that you and your mom both loved the tteokbokki. 🙂