Bibimguksu (Korean cold mixed noodles) is the perfect quick and easy summer meal. You can literally whip up the sauce while you wait for the water to come to a boil to cook the noodles. All you need is some cucumbers to top it off with and you’ve got one of the best noodle dishes ever.
The spicy sauce has the perfect balance of spiciness, sweetness, and tanginess. The non-spicy version is also perfectly balanced with the sweet and salty flavour combination of the soy sauce and sugar. I love that both of these recipes are not overly sweet like many other recipes out there on the internet. Both of these recipes will become a staple in your Korean cooking.
BIBIMGUKSU (Spicy + Non-spicy Recipe)
- 200 g Somen noodles, ramen noodles, soba noodles, acorn noodles, or any kind of thin noodles (200g = 1 large serving or 2 small servings)
Spicy Bibim Sauce
- 3 tablespoons gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons roasted sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons roasted sesame seeds, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon fine ground gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder) (optional)
Non-Spicy Bibim Sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Lettuce, thinly shredded
- Perilla leaves, thinly shredded
- Cucumbers, julienned
- Roasted sesame seeds, crushed
- Nori strips
For the spicy bibim sauce
- Mix gochujang, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Stir until everything is well combined and the sugar is dissolved.
For the non-spicy bibim sauce
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, sesame seeds, and black pepper. Stir until everything is well combined and the sugar is dissolved.
For the noodles
- Cook noodles following the package instructions.
- Once the noodles are cooked, strain them, and rinse thoroughly under cold water while rubbing them to remove the excess starch. Completely drain the water from the noodles.
- Put the cooked noodles in a bowl and top with toppings of choice. Pour over the desired amount of spicy or non-spicy bibim sauce, mix well, and enjoy!