What makes a perfect brownie? It’s that perfect combination of slight cakiness to a good amount of fudginess, and of course, good quality chocolate.
If a brownie is too cakey, it’s no longer a brownie; it’s chocolate cake. If it’s too fudgy, then you end up missing some of that textural contrast.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to use GOOD QUALITY cacao powder and chocolate. This decision can make or break your brownie.
So if you’re looking for that perfect, slightly cakey, and ultra chocolatey and fudgy brownie, this is the recipe for you! I’ve also made these a bit healthier by making them gluten-free.
Gluten-Free Fudgy Brownies
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour 130g
- 3/4 cup potato starch 150g
- 1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar 380g
- 3/4 cup cacao powder 75g
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil or any neutral oil (I love grapeseed oil or sunflower seed oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips 90g
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Line a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients (buckwheat flour, potato starch, sugar, cacao powder, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum) in a large bowl, and mix with a whisk. Create a well in the center of the dry mix.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together all wet ingredients (water, oil, vanilla extract). Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined. Batter should be quite thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into cake pan lined with parchment paper. Use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Test with a cake tester or toothpick to make sure it comes out mostly clean. If it needs to bake longer, rotate your cake pan and bake for another 5 minutes. Baking times may vary depending on your oven.
- Cool completely before cutting. Brownies can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
These brownies are so sweet and yummy! Perfect when you have a chocolatey fix!